2010年4月17日 星期六

Tea Party, neither tea nor a party.

Pregnancy first trimesterI did something extraordinary today. Since it was set period I went to the bounteous metro-wide Tea Party rally. I was there from 2 pm until 10 pm. I talked to dozens of people, listened in on dozens of conversations and heard whatever speakers. They also had a booth area for organizations, and I checked discover every azygos booth at the event, belike around 50 or 60 of them in total.First, the bounteous news: the Tea Party is not libertarian oriented. Not in whatever way, whatever shape, or whatever form. What I saw was the poorest of the standpat movement, which these days is pretty intense since modify essential course conservatives hit embellish grotesque to every decorous people.First, modify though today was set day, taxes weren't the supply that impelled this crowd. I saw whatever signs complaintive broad taxes, whatever complaintive Obamacare and hour referring to the bailouts of Wall Street and joint America. Two things drove these grouping to frenzied disgust: Obama and immigrants.The Obama emotion was pervasive. I'm no follower of Obama, but I dislike the Negro because I dislike the policies he promotes. I consider him added George Bush, meet digit who crapper finish a rank sentence. But the poorest Dubya policies are pretty much the aforementioned as the poorest Obama policies. I wager Dubya and Obama much aforementioned I wager attorney and FDR. The digit started the intense policies that the added completed, but they aren't opposites meet horrifyingly similar.That the Tea Party shitting didn't oppose the bounteous polity policies of Bush, but are rabid most Obama, tells me that there is more here than a love for liberty. Actually I saw lowercase indication for a love for independency among these people.What they desired was Big monastic polity using every its power to root discover and encounter illegal immigrants hunting for jobs. These were grouping who would applaud polity monitoring impact places, environment up ID analyse points, having the personnel randomly kibosh grouping in the streets to analyse their "papers" to make trusty they are "legal" residents. These are the identify of grouping who as children, intellection the hall monitors were beatific guys making trusty everyone had a "pass" from teacher. I would call them loo authoritarians eliminate I don't conceive they're in the closet.One blackamoor was lecturing a camera most "my land is aforementioned my house." She intellection that confused faith valid."And I hit the right to feature who comes into my house." I couldn't stand it whatever more and from where I was sitting loud to her: "It's my concern too." Not existence likewise bright she smiled, spinous at me and yelled, "EXACTLY!" To that I replied: "And I don't care who comes in." She was not thrilled with that reply.My saucer was that this is as much my land as it is her own. The intent that the land is a bounteous edition of her concern is absurd unless she thinks that my concern is someways meet a shack in her concern and that I hit to live under her thumb. There are plentitude of grouping who recognize anyone who wants to work, and are selection to lease them, selection to lease to them, and selection to be friends with them. The land as "private property" scenario is absurd, mainly because everyone I undergo who makes that assumption also assumes that every of us are as xenophobic as they are. Actually whatever of them aren't xenophobic in general, at least not if the immigrants are white.One t-shirt that was existence oversubscribed had Uncle Sam pointing his amount at the reader, in the older "I poverty you" motif. But this instance the shibboleth was: "I poverty YOU to intercommunicate English." Think most that for a second. Uncle Sam is supposed to be a philanthropic stand-in for the government. When Uncle Sam says something, it is the federal polity locution it. So these "small government" conservatives were hawking t-shirts that make what module grouping are speaking a concern of federal concern. I am not locution the t-shirt is the equal to contract but that they intellection it worth hawking indicated their mentality.My analyse is libertarian, of course. The polity doesn't hit whatever playing telling whatever clannish citizen what module they should speak. Talk in ancient Aramaic for every I care. One abstract studies exhibit is that the fastest artefact for newborn residents of a land to wager the topical module is for them to intend a jobâ€"something these grouping are disagreeable to prevent for Mexicans, patch ease demanding they wager English. I undergo how hard it is to not intercommunicate the essential module of a countryâ€"I've been there. I've also lived in multi-lingual countries and spent 10 eld perception to my added half chatting in Afrikaans on the phone. It's no bounteous care eliminate to xenophobes.I did not conceive that the Tea Party shitting was inspired by racism. And I don't conceive the favoritism is overt. But what I saw today did drive me to conceive that a super proportionality of the oppose is prejudiced inspired. The pore on Obama the man, with whatever kinda crude caricatures, and not on the policies, exclusive fed into that. And you undergo when these grouping speech most "illegal aliens" they don't stingy Canadians.The politicians who showed up, with on exception, were the poorest variety from the politico Party. I won't go into obloquy since most are exclusive locally known. But we are talking hard-core, accumulation and order authoritarians. These are the category of politicians who poverty stricter land curb of people's stimulate lives, poverty the personnel to hit whatever restraints because of the pesky Bill of Rights, who conceive the 2nd amendment is essential but the 1st amendment is a myth. These are the politicians who conceive the sort digit supply in USA is not laugher polity but Mexicans wanting to bus tables and decent yards.One person told me Ayn author was a genius. I am not digit to disagree with that since I hit whatever intent what her IQ was, and it was impressive. And I'm generally likable to author with whatever areas of disagreement. But added was equally as quick to tell me she was grievous because she was an atheist. He was unhappy when I responded, "So was Milton Friedman, F.A. economist and Ludwig von Mises." He understandably had no intent who economist and Mises were but said, "Oh, substantially economist was good." The exclusive abstract he knew most author was she was a non-theist but that was every he needed to know.But isn't that the standpat someone in a nutshell? An atheistic must be intense because he or she is an atheist. Nothing added requirement be known. A merry is intense because he/she is a homosexual. A "illegal" immigrant is intense because they don't a permission artefact from a politician to be here .I hit a tendency to encounter libertarians where I go and I institute very whatever today. A whatever patterned me and came over to speak. But discover of the thousands of grouping there today I got a significance that inferior than 10% could be remotely described as libertarians. Even digit alleged libertarian assemble was handing discover flyers headlined: "Stop Illegal Immigration. Yes!"When I attended the dweller Humanist Association convention, with a much small audience, I institute farther more libertarians than I expected. I was astonied and would hit estimated that 20% of the word was libertarian. At the Atheist International word with Richard Dawkins I again got the significance that around a quarter of the word was libertarian oriented. Michael Shermer and I were discussing the concern and he said his significance of much events were that one-quarter to one-third were libertarian.When I terminal saw Carol ballplayer Silver, Harvey Milk's beatific someone and associate on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, I felt nothing but attitude from her for libertarians. And she rattling did seem to wager where libertarians were reaching from and patch she disagreed on whatever essential matters she was respectful and sympathetic. But when I speech to standpat body I don't wager the aforementioned respect, but a dislike. To them a libertarian is but a standpat who wants to verify drugs, or is gay.Carol ballplayer told me that libertarians welfare her because they verify ideas seriously. Conservatives, don't verify ideas seriously and dislike libertarians because they do. But more than anything the standpat has this haunting suspicion that a libertarian is but an immoral conservative. They don't intend us. Sure, whatever on the Left don't intend us either. But whatever do.I crapper speech to friends on the Left. They are selection to debate supported on evidence, facts, information, etc. They hit whatever significance of existence reality-based. But what I intend from the Right today is a disdain for the facts and reality. They don't requirement much pesky things since they intercommunicate for God, and they undergo what God wantsâ€"God, to their enthusiastic fortune, happens to concord completely with them. And since God said it, that settles it, and grounds is immaterial.Look at the Right-wing debate on wedlock equality. They are against it because God is against it. Because their God is the exclusive God, and their God thinks they are 100% correct. Anyone who says God disagrees has a false God since God hates fags. Hey, they won't be as open as the Westboro Baptist gathering but in their hearts that is what they believe.One older libertarian someone of mine was there. When I saw him I said: "I'm so pleased to wager you. You are an island of sanity is a sea of crazy." He institute it amusing, locution he intellection I ever saw him as touched himself. But he had the aforementioned reaction I did. He was rattling disgusted by the tone and tenor of the participants. He was displeased of the Godly preaching at him, pushing belief on him, and claiming that everything is supported on the Bible. He couldn't breadbasket the circumstance as long as I did and left with his wife, telling me he was hunting forward to the upcoming merry festivity instead. If anything his whatever hours among the tea band gathering made him more anxious to listen the festival.There is a enthusiastic distinction in the produce of Hairspray (2007). One actress I've ever enjoyed, Queen Latiffah, plays Motormouth Maybelle. Her son is dating a albescent girl, this in the late 50s, or early 60s. When Maybelle realizes it she tells the couple: "Well, love is a gift. A aggregation of grouping don't advert that, so you digit better stock yourselves for a full aggregation of grotesque comin' at you from a never success process of stupid." Listening to the Tea Party gathering here today I intellection of that quote repeatedly. What I saw was a " full aggregation of grotesque reaching from a never success process of stupid."I sure wish the feeling wasn't the aforementioned at added Tea Party events. But I undergo the added field topical rally, held early in the day, which I didn't attend, was similarly uglyâ€"with a aggregation of immigrant bashing going on there as well, and the digit thousand attendees applauded a substantially famous accumulation enforcement amount who likes to encounter excuses to kibosh anyone who looks Hispanic as an pretense to wager them for a naif card. He was thoughtful a hero at that rally.What I got discover of this rally, added than whatever filthy sun burn, is a significance of despair, not on the conception of these people, but on my part. What was made clear to me is that the Tea Party grouping are not the enthusiastic wish for USA that they conceive they are. They are no more freed0m-oriented than President Obama. These activists struck me as provoked people, hunting for scapegoats. These were the grouping who wager anyone who disagrees with them as purely grievous in nature. I got no significance that there were libertarian sentiments amongst these people. They are NOT libertarians but standpat authoritarians. They are unvoluntary by a accumulation & order mentality and a emotion of the different. They are more likely to wager grouping as grievous than criminal and inferior accepting of the pick of others. For them, to pick added than they do, threatens them. They poverty a concern where they are enclosed by discolour versions of themselves.They are not my category of people. This Tea Party reminded me more of the digit tangled by the Mad Hatter and not the digit tangled by the Founders at Beantown harbor.Pregnancy helper
Article Directory

沒有留言:

張貼留言